Archive for January, 2015

Snow & Ice: Slip & Fall Injuries

By Thomas R. Smith

Wednesday, January 28th, 2015

Slip & Fall injuries from slipping and falling on ice and or snow can be life changing.  If you are injured, you may be entitled to compensation for any losses and harms.  Commercial landowners, such as shopping centers, have a non-delegable duty to keep parking lots safe and free from ice and snow.  When they don’t, and a customer slips and falls and sustains personal injuries, they are liable for money damages.

Homeowners generally have no obligation to clear abutting public sidewalks, although some municipal regulations may require shoveling snow and keeping clear of ice.  However, if a homeowner undertakes to clean the walkway, they must do so in a reasonably safe manner, and will be liable for compensation to an injured victim if they fail to do so.

If you have fallen on snow or ice and sustained slip & fall injuries, contact an experienced lawyer to help you obtain the compensation for your losses and harms that you are entitled.

Your News Years Resolution: Update Your Insurance Policy

By admin

Thursday, January 8th, 2015

Every year millions of Americans make New Year’s resolutions when the calendar turns January 1st. Typical resolutions include losing weight, getting a new job or even changing bad habits. However, this year, it may be a good idea to take a look at your car insurance policy.

If you own or lease a car in New Jersey, you are required to maintain car insurance policy on that car. But when is the last time you looked at your coverage to see how much coverage you actually have? It might be time to call your insurance agent and ask for a copy of your declaration page.

A declaration page is an insurance term for a list of your coverage. The typical declaration page lists your coverage for bodily injury, property damage, personal injury protection (PIP) and any other coverage you have on your car. A couple of the most important items you will find on your declaration page are your underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) and your personal injury protection coverage (PIP).

UIM coverage is insurance that is available if another party involved in an accident has inadequate insurance coverage. In that’s scenario, you can seek benefits under your own company’s UIM policy.  PIP is the coverage on your insurance policy that pays for the reasonable and necessary medical bills that arise from a car accident. There is a deductible that you are usually required to meet and the company will pay for the bills in excess of that deductible.

Both UIM and PIP coverage should be as high of a limit as you can afford. You can’t rely on other drivers’ insurance policies to help you pay expenses when you’ve had an accident. In addition to both UIM and PIP, it is important that you know what lawsuit threshold you have on your insurance policy. Most companies give their customers the default insurance policy, which includes the limitation on lawsuit threshold. This type of policy restricts your ability to file a lawsuit against another driver for injuries unless they fit into a certain category. To ensure an unlimited ability to file a claim, you should choose the no limitation on lawsuit option.

As a consumer and payer of a premium, you are entitled to know what coverage you have and what happens if you need it. Call your insurance company and request a copy of your declaration page. It’s better to know now than to find out when you need it.